Thursday, October 7, 2010

Third Post, Second Day

I wrote 600 more words. Wheeeee.

    "You know which side of the planet you're on, right kid? This is the side with the fundamentalist crazies. They've calmed down a lot the past few decades, but they still insist on raising their kids 'naturally'; that means no implants, and very little medical intervention. Here, if a limb gets amputated, it doesn't grow back," Roshan informed the two men gravely.
    Both sat stunned.
    "But -" stuttered Teo.
    "That's inhumane!" exclaimed Bahden.
    "How can they?"
    "That's withholding medical treatment! Doctors have a duty to offer the best medical care available!"
    Roshan smiled grimly. "Are you listening to yourselves?" she asked.
    "Yes, of course," they replied together.
    "What have both of you observed and been a part of for most of your lives?"
    "The colonization effort," Bahden answered, confused.
    "But we're only trying to…" Teo added, then stopped mid thought. "No," he said as a new idea struck him. "That's completely different."
    "We - yes, I include myself in this category - knowingly withhold medical treatment to those in need. We have done it every day, every year, since I arrived ground-side. And we tell ourselves it is necessary," Roshan said, eyes cool.
    "That's different," Teo repeated.
    "No we don't. We don't deny people medical treatment at all," Bahden said, a step behind the conversation.
    "It's essentially the same thing," Roshan told Teo.
    "What are you talking about? Teo, what is she talking about?" Bahden asked.
    Roshan gestured for Teo to answer. Reluctantly, he turned towards his friend. "How long does a Norm -- an Aphroditian -- live?" he asked.
    "Depends," Bahden replied, even more confused. "Maybe 70 years, maybe a hundred. Why?"
    "How long does someone from Gnay 54 Piscium live?" Teo asked.
    "Fifteen hundred years… oh," Bahden said, finally realizing. "But that's different," he added immediately.
    "Because they're Norms and they're supposed to have shorter life spans?" Roshan asked, cool and calm.
    "Yes… well, no. I mean…" Bahden stammered.
    "I understand," Teo said, agreeing.
    Roshan looked at the two men and a faint frown crossed her face. "All I need to do is get the two of you to blend in," she said, pulling herself back to her main concern. They looked at her, lost and slightly anxious. She smiled at them and rose to her feet. "If you'll allow me, I'll sketch out simple changes that should take a night or two of growth. I can take you shopping for better clothing whenever you want. I am currently taking an indefinite leave from my business and am at your disposal for the length of your visit."
    "We uh…" Bahden began, not knowing how to respond.
    "We planned on staying for a couple of decades," Teo stated plainly. "We wanted to get a feel for life on the ground. ??? and ??? came back to Gnay and seeing them -- growing up around them -- really inspired us."
    "Teo, shouldn't you tell her about…?" Bahden suggested, trailing off.
    Teo rolled his eyes. "Bahden is trying to say that there are two more of us ground-side. Keelin and Addy… Adelaide, I mean. They're currently on the other side of the planet."
    "I suspected as much, but I couldn't be sure without traveling to check the nets or hacking in to the net towers here. And so long as these other two children really are on the other side of Aphrodite, then they should be alright," Roshan said. "Thank you for being honest with me."
    "Could you not call them children?" Bahden asked. "Addy is my sib ***I need a different word here. what's an unrelated person who was born at the same time as you and with whom you were raised?*** and I don't appreciate you demeaning her."
    "I apologize, it's just difficult to be with people who know my true age and yet are so much younger than I am," Roshan said. "Who wants me to figure out a better look for them first?"
    Teo and Bahden looked at each with raised eyebrows. Teo cracked a faint grin first, and Bahden immediately followed. "Help me out, then Bahden" Teo said, turning back to Roshan. "After that, I want to know why you wore something so formal to a bar."


Pleeeeease comment. I want to know what people think, and if you just TELL me I will forget. If you leave it as a comment here, I will remember when I'm editing.

2 comments:

  1. ***addy is like a sister to me***?
    i like how it's playing out, and that I still don't quite know the entire sci-fi setting

    ["How long does someone from Gnay 54 Piscium live?" Teo asked.
    "Fifteen hundred… oh," Bahden said, finally realizing. "But that's different," he added immediately.
    "Because they're Norms and they're supposed to have shorter life spans?" Roshan asked, cool and calm.
    "Yes… well, no. I mean…" Bahden stammered.] - are we supposed to kind of get their conversation? or just be very curious as to what they're realizing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Who wants me to figure out a better look for them first?"
    This is far less direct, it seems uncharacteristically informal.

    ReplyDelete